Saturday, April 16, 2011

I am really, really old. Well, for the past two weeks, anyway.

Sciatica: pain, tingling, or numbness produced by an irritation of the nerve roots that lead to the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve is formed by the nerve roots coming out of the spinal cord into the lower back. Branches of the sciatic nerve extend through the buttocks and down the back of each leg to the ankle and foot.

Note to Sharon: I'm right there with you, sister.

And let me just say: this kind of nonsense isn't getting me any closer to Toronto!! I started limping around two weeks ago, was quite debilitated for several days following that, and finally gave up on even walking on the treadmill about ten days ago. Because not being able to walk and drive everyday isn't an option, I finally saw a doctor and now have a prescription. I feel better after only two days of meds but the bad news is he told me not to run for about two more weeks.

So there it is. A month ticking by, with only a handful of miles on the books to show for it, before I became the non-walking, non-running wounded, with an aching butt (which I didn't even know was possible) and an aching leg. Fabulous.

The last time I felt this kind of pain was around the 11th month of a pregnancy, when I was literally limping around Giant one evening, hanging onto a cart so I didn't fall over. (I'm not a martyr, really. I don't think I would have attempted shopping if I were in pain before entering the store. It kind of came over me quickly and pretty strongly.)

So the good news / bad news here:

The good news: I'm not pregnant.

The bad news is: at least the last time I experienced this, at least I ended up with an adorable baby, or two or three. (I can't remember which pregnancy this was.)

This time, I end up behind - so to speak - on my run to Canada. I may push that 'no running for two weeks' window.....hmmm. Just a mile or two or three. (Looking for any advice here from someone who has dealt with this successfully.)

If not, then onto May and a bit of a 'make up for lost miles' kind of month. Yay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

C'mon, girl, get back in the race. You can do it! I'm pretty darn close to Ocean City, Md. You need to be keeping up!

Joe

renee said...

You are definitely getting ahead of me but I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone. Be careful!

I'm going to try this week, Joe. But starting too soon isn't going to do me any good.....

I may have to count my warm-up "walked miles" for the first time ever. Which offends the strictness and orderliness within me but so be it.